- Over 226 million population
- One of the ‘N-11’ countries of 21st century
- Pakistan 4th largest milk producer in the world
- Gross value addition of more than 8 billion US$.
- Indispensable to the country’s
- Economic growth
- Food Security
- Employment generation and
- Poverty alleviation, particularly, at the rural level.
- Largest province (population wise)
- 70% population residing in rural communities
- Dominates Pakistan's livestock sector having 25 million cattle, 27 million buffaloes
- and 36 million sheep & goats.
- This region of the world possesses the best genetic potential of livestock.
- Livestock sector of Punjab also has the largest women engagement in any economic activity.
- Annual milk production >39000 metric tons
- Prized breeds which are climate friendly and world known for their disease resistance and high yield.
- Nilli Ravi Buffaloes
- Sahiwal Cattle
- Cholistani Cattle
- Beetal Goat
- Mareecha Camel
LIVESTOCK & DAIRY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT, PUNJAB
Extensive network of
- Veterinary Hospitals
- Mobile Dispensaries
- Livestock Farms
- Educational and Research Institutions
ICT Based Virtual Governance System
- National Agriculture Emergency Program
- Enhancing Animal Protein Production through
- Save the Calf
- Calf Fattening
- Rural Poultry distribution
- Genetic Improvement of cows
- Quality Veterinary Education
- Punjab Agriculture & Meat Company/ Lahore Meat Processing Complex
- Silage machinery
- 800 million US$ foreign & local investment in dairy sector
- Big Bird Foods
- World Bank’s ‘Ease of Doing Business index’: 2nd Highest in South Asia
- Geo-strategic superiority as a premier trade corridor of Asia
- 55% population below the age of 19; long term sustainable economic growth
- Lowest shipping costs
- Best incentives for investors
In the global financial crisis, Pakistan’s economy has shown resilience to the shocks and has maintained global and regional patterns and has performed better than some of the neighboring countries. International Reports of repute have shown that Pakistan ranks ahead of regional countries.
INCENTIVES FOR INVESTORS
The government is giving incentives for the development of the dairy sector, which include regulatory measures for imports of high yielding animals, semen and embryos, duty free imports of veterinary, dairy and livestock machinery and exemption from retail sales tax for processed products.
OPPORTUNITIES & AVENUES
- Halal Meat Production, Market linkages, Value Addition & Export
- Establishment of Disease Free Zones
- Animal Identification & Traceability System
- Milk Chain Value Addition
- Buffalo & Goat Cheese Production
- Frozen & Pre-cooked Food Industry
- Animal Feed & Silage Industry
- Animal Vaccine Production & Technology
- In Vitro Fertilization & Embryo Transfer Technologies
- Semen Production
- Veterinary Education
- Disease Surveillance
- ICT based Virtual Governance System